When I look outside my window now all I can see is snow and ice. It’s chilly and cold, so I can’t take my toddler out to play as we usually do. But that doesn’t mean the fun has to stop! There are plenty of ways to engage your little one indoors on a snowy day – without having screens take over their day:
1. Create a snowman craft: Gather white and colored construction paper, glue, scissors, crayons, and markers to create a 3-dimensional snowman.
2. Make some hot chocolate: Let your toddler help measure the ingredients while you stir them together in a pot. Serve it with marshmallows or other tasty toppings like whipped cream or sprinkles.
3. Have an indoor picnic: Spread out a blanket on the floor and serve lunch items that don’t need to be cooked using little plates or bowls for serving. Add stuffed animals or dolls as guests of honor!
4. Play with playdough: Provide pliable, ready-made play dough along with rolling pins, cookie cutters, and other tools for fun.
5. Have an indoor scavenger hunt: Hide toys or candy around the house for your toddler to find.
6. Read some winter stories: Share a cozy moment reading about snowmen, snowflakes or anything else with a winter theme!
7. Dance to music: Put on their favorite tunes and get moving in the living room!
8. Build a fort: Gather chairs and blankets to build a big tent or fort in the middle of the room where they can play all day long.
9. Have an indoor snowball fight: Roll up socks into balls and let them throw them at each other (or you!) to get some energy out.
10. Create a sensory bin: Fill a large container with snow-themed items like cotton balls, fake snow flakes, or even real salt and let them explore!
These are just a few fun ways to keep your toddler entertained on this snowy day. With these activities, these can also work as activities for tabies…they’ll be having so much fun they won’t even realize it’s cold outside! Happy winter!